Skip to Main Content

Log in to access all features

Find the perfect dog walk on your journey - Driving with Dogs

Bark Out

New rules for dogs travelling outside the UK 2021

New rules for dogs travelling outside the UK 2021

Pet Passports are no longer valid after Brexit. The UK now has Part 2 listed status under the EU Pet Travel Scheme. This means that if you want to take your pets with you to the EU and Northern Ireland there are new rules to follow.  We've summarised the important points for you here, and it's essential you check all timings for jabs and certificates carefully before your travel date.   EU Pet Passports are no longer valid for travel to the EU from England, Scotland or Wales.

Travel with your pet out of England, Scotland and Wales

If you're travelling FROM Great Britain to N. Ireland or the EU, you'll need an Animal Health Certificate (AHC) from your vet for each pet. An AHC is valid for 4 months and ONE journey.

AHC certificates will include details of your pet's rabies vaccination (this takes 21 days). If you're travelling to anywhere on the island of Ireland (the Republic and N. Ireland) your pet also needs verified treatment for Echinococcus (tapeworm).

Travel from the EU to Great Britain (England, Scotland, Wales)

Visitors from the EU with pets can still use the EU pet passport as before. But after July 1st 2021 you will have to use a designated point of entry.

Travel from Northern Ireland to Great Britain (England, Scotland, Wales)

You don't need an AHC or pet passport to enter England, Scotland or Wales from Northern Ireland. But you DO need an AHC and Echinococcus treatment to return to N.I.

In all cases, we strongly advise you to consult your vet well in advance of your intended travel date and plan carefully.  

What your dog needs to apply for an animal health certificate

  • Your dog must be microchipped.
  • Your dog needs to be vaccinated against rabies (NB: your pet must be at least 12 weeks old before it can be vaccinated)
  • You will need to wait 21 days after any primary vaccinations before you travel so bear this in mind when you are planning your travel and AHC appointment

How do I get an animal health certificate?

An animal health certificate (AHC) can only be issued by an Official Veterinarian (OV). An appointment for this can be arranged by contacting your veterinary practice.

When you apply for an animal health certificate, you will need to take your pet, along with vaccination and other medical records, to the issuing vet.

An Animal Health Certificate normally includes details of:

  • Pet owner's details
  • Your pet's description
  • Rabies vaccination details (your animal will need to have been vaccinated at least three weeks prior to the AHC appointment and have had a UK Rabies vaccine within the past three years)
  • Rabies blood test (as required)
  • Canine tapeworm treatment (as required)
  • Intended country of entry (The AHC has to be issued in the language of the country in which you are entering the EU)

How much does a animal health certificate cost?

An Animal Health Certificate costs £106.50* (This is the consultation and includes reviewing & finalising all your documents. Any vaccinations or medications required in addition will incur additional charges). A microchip is £16.28 and will only need to be implanted once. A Rabies vaccination costs £50.40 – this will need to be repeated every three years to allow continual travel under the Pet Travel Scheme.   Prices as stated by the Royal Veterinary College March 2021.

More details for pet travel overseas can be found on


Finding dog walks near the autoroute exits, dog-friendly beaches and English speaking vets is easy with a Driving with Dogs France membership

Holidays and Days Out with your Dog Driving with your dog